Make the strawberry season last a little bit longer by preserving them while they’re in season and make Strawberry Chia Jam. And by using chia seeds (ideally certified organic) you get the same jammy consistency, without having to use all that sugar! And you can sub strawberries for raspberries
2 cups strawberries, with the green bits taken off
2 tablespoons of water
2 to 3 tablespoons maple syrup (depending how sweet you like it)
2 tablespoons of chia seeds
- Turn the oven to 150.
- Put the strawberries and water into a small roasting pan or dish that can go in the oven and on the hob and then put this into the oven.
- Let them slowly cook and dissolve until they are very soft and have started to caramelise this should take about 45 minutes, keep an eye on them as you don’t want them to burn.
- If they are not reduced and jam like enough you can mash it with a potato masher or fork.
- Next put it on a hob over a low heat and add the chai seeds and the maple syrup stirring them into the strawberry jam for a two to three minutes until they start to thicken and the seeds are mixed in.
- Taste and add more maple syrup if it is not sweet enough for you then take it off the heat and let it sit and thicken up more for about 10 minutes.
- Then you can put the jam into a sterilised container.
- Store in the fridge.